Friday, March 1, 2013

Chicks in the house

My husband has been tossing around an idea for sometime now, this tossing around of an idea means it is just a matter of time before there is follow through, he's wanted to get chickens. Well we live within a city, so really I didn't think this would turn into anything. Then he found out, why yes you can have chickens in the city just not a rooster. 

The sixteen year old shared how one of her girlfriends have chickens. Well ok. I'm willing to think about this. The husband wanted a small garden a few years back, each year it is larger and to be honest we have amazing veggies each summer. I'm happy to consider the chicken idea, but no one but me seems to like eggs! Then my husband ordered a chicken coop. sigh. Then he came home with two chicks, a heat light, and chicken feed.

We are now chicken owners. Looks like next week the husband will add one or two more chickens. They are very cute and the kids love petting them (and washing hands right after). Since we have cats, we are using an old dog create for the chickens (we had to put more fencing around it). The little cat paws can reach in, but not to far. The first night the chickens were in the house, the cats made sure to keep an ever watchful eye on the chicks...I'm sure the chicks slept soundly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment